I faced a challenge a few weeks back when I was invited to a night in watching Phantom of the Opera, I knew there was going to be lots of snacks and I was afraid of being tempted so I decided to make up some dips and dippers of my own. The simple recipe follows…
75g Light Philadelphia (Healthy Extra A)
Crushed garlic (I use the Very Lazy Garlic by EPC)
Dried mixed herbs
Smash (Depends on how many you want to make I would use a 3 person serving packet)
Recipe- Add boiling water to your Smash until it reaches a dough like consistency. Use a fork or a large spoon to keep mixing/mashing it up. If you happen to add too much water and make the smash too thin, just add a little more to bring it back to the dough like consistency. Then take your Smash dough ball and roll it out to about 3/4 to 1 cm thick. Then take a knife and cut it into little rectangles (about 2cm x 5cm). Add these to a frying pan on medium heat coated with fry light and fry until golden brown on both sides. Leave to cool.
Whilst they are cooling you can make your dip. Add about 1 heaped teaspoon of Lazy Garlic to your Light Philidelphia and mix in 1 teaspoon of your mixed herbs.
Easy! Now just dip and enjoy!
Sounds like a bit of a weird dish but it’s actually really tasty and completely free. Best to use a deep frying pan or heavy based saucepan for this one.
- 3 or 4 chicken fillets
- 330mL tin of diet coke
- Lea and Perrins sauce
- Vegetables (onions, peppers, mushrooms)
- Smash (optional)
- Cut your chicken into strips and chop up your vegetables.
- Fry your chicken in one cal spray until cooked.
- Add chopped vegetables.
- Add tin of diet coke to frying pan, 6 tablespoons of Passata (or more if you like because it’s free!), and a few dashes of worcester sauce.
- Simmer for approximately 25 minutes to reduce sauce.
- A handy tip for thickening sauces which I’ve mentioned on the site before is sprinkling in a little Smash powder to thicken the sauce up a little.
- Serve with rice or potatoes and lots of superfree vegetables!
My big weakness is crisps. Oh I love them sooo much! Salty, greasy crisps -yum! But since starting Slimming World I haven’t had a single crisp -something I’m very proud of because before Slimming World I’d have eaten at least one bag, if not four or five on really bad days. So I was quite happy to discover this simple recipe for low fat crisps. I wouldn’t suggest making loads and loads of these though as I’m sure at some point eating lots and lots of one cal spray crisps adds up! But as an occasion treat they are fine (and free food!).
- One cal spray
- Use a potato peeler to slice thin slices of potato.
- Dry the slices off with a piece of kitchen roll.
- Spray a plate with one cal spray.
- Place your slices of potato evenly over the plate, ensuring you don’t over lap pieces of potato.
- Spray the top of the potato with one cal spray.
- Microwave on full power for 5 to 6 minutes.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste -and enjoy!
I have seen many cakes and roulades on the Slimming World Facebook page which inspired me to make this cake, but mine is slightly different to the rest of them as I did not use Quark in my cake.
I’ve found that some people don’t seem to like Quark but this wasn’t my reason for making the cake without it, it just wasn’t for sale in my local supermarket and I really wanted cake!
This cake is super light and really much more tasty that I thought it would be before I had it.
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon of baking powder
- Fat free natural yogurt
- 4 Laughing Cow Extra Light triangles
- Granulated Sweetener (Aspartame)
- Strawberries and Raspberries -either fresh or frozen (defrost first!)
- One cal spray
For the sponge-
- Preheat your oven to 180°C (160° for fan assisted ovens)
- Separate your eggs into different mixing bowls -egg whites in one, yokes into another.
- Whisk together your yokes, the four triangles, tablespoon of baking powder, about 100mL of the yogurt and five heaped tablespoons of your sweetener.
- Whisk your egg whites until they are stiff and form peaks that don’t droop. Another way to tell that they are firm enough is that the beaten egg doesn’t fall off the whisk.
- Whisk half your egg whites into your yoke mixture.
- Fold in the other half of your egg whites carefully.
- Spray two cake pans with one cal spray. To make a roulade simply pour the mixture into a baking tray sprayed with one cal.
- Pour equal amounts into each cake pan.
- Bake in the oven for 12 to 15 minutes. You can tell when it is ready when the cake is golden brown.
- Let the cakes cool on a cake rack.
For the filling and topping-
- Take about 150mL to 200mL of yogurt.
- Crush 4 or 5 strawberries and raspberries and mix in with the yogurt.
- Mix in 2 heaped tablespoons of sweetener.
- When your cakes have cooled spoon half the mixture onto one of the cakes and place the other cake on top.
- Spoon the other half of your mixture onto the top of the cake.
- Slice some strawberries and place on top for decoration (and extra super free of course!)
You can have any fruit you like with this cake but I would suggest fruits that you can crush -strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, banana, kiwi etc.
I haven’t made the cake recipe that a lot of people have shared on the Slimming World Facebook page so I’m not sure whether this is nice or not compared to it but myself and my boyfriend really enjoyed it. After a while the cake gets quite moist because of the yogurt filling but I actually find this really yummy too, I’m not sure whether the Quark would do this too.
This dinner is like a good old freezer dinner from before I started doing Slimming World but these Goujons and chips are far tastier because they taste so fresh, rather than processed rubbish that comes from supermarket freezers.
This dinner will take you about an hour to make as long as you’re well prepared and takes very little skill to make. And remember don’t forget about your superfree foods so have lots of veggies with your meal as well. You could even just make the goujons and have them with a nice big salad.
Chicken Goujons (serves 2-4) (free)
- 8 Chicken Mini fillets or chicken breast cut into strips
- 1 Egg
- 60g Couscous
- Preheat your oven to 180°C (160°C for fan assisted ovens)
- Put your couscous into a bowl and pour boiling water until it’s just covered and leave to the side for about five to ten minutes.
- Whisk your egg in a bowl.
- Break the couscous apart with your hand or a fork.
- Coat the chicken with egg and roll in the couscous.
- Place onto a non-stick baking tray (or as I like to do a tin foil lined tray sprayed with one cal)
- Cook in the oven for approximately 25 minutes turning half way through cooking.
You could try this without cooking the couscous if you like it extra crispy I found that when the cooked couscous coating was put back into the oven it left a crispy coating anyway!
Slimming World Chips (free)
Anyone who has been to Slimming World will know these chips well by now I’m sure, but if you don’t here’s a recipe for these delicious and healthy chips!
- One cal spray
- Preheat your oven to 180°C (or 160°C for fan assisted ovens)
- You can either peel your potatoes or leave the skin on.
- Chop your potatoes into “chips”.
- Parboil for approximately ten minutes, being careful not to over cook the potato. You want your fork to be able to go through the potato but for the potato to not be entirely cooked.
- Drain the water from the potato and leave in the saucepan for approximately five to ten minutes to let some of the water evaporate off -this will allow the chips to crisp up a bit better in the oven.
- Spray a baking tray with one cal spray and spread your potato evenly across the tray and spray the potato with one cal again, at this point you can sprinkle some salt and pepper over the potato to taste. I like using Aromat seasoning as I find it quite tasty!
- Cook in the oven for about half an hour turning the chips once half way through.
Et voila! Tasty, healthy chips!
Chilli dip -just fat free natural yogurt and chilli flakes
Garlic dip -just fat free natural yogurt and crushed garlic and dried parsley
The garlic dip is my favourite, with plenty of garlic and parsley you really can’t taste the yogurt at all but with the chilli dip you can still taste the yogurt which may put some people off. This is great as all the ingredients are free on Slimming World!