I have seen many cakes and roulades on the Slimming World Facebook page which inspired me to make this cake, but mine is slightly different to the rest of them as I did not use Quark in my cake.
I’ve found that some people don’t seem to like Quark but this wasn’t my reason for making the cake without it, it just wasn’t for sale in my local supermarket and I really wanted cake!
This cake is super light and really much more tasty that I thought it would be before I had it.
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon of baking powder
- Fat free natural yogurt
- 4 Laughing Cow Extra Light triangles
- Granulated Sweetener (Aspartame)
- Strawberries and Raspberries -either fresh or frozen (defrost first!)
- One cal spray
For the sponge-
- Preheat your oven to 180°C (160° for fan assisted ovens)
- Separate your eggs into different mixing bowls -egg whites in one, yokes into another.
- Whisk together your yokes, the four triangles, tablespoon of baking powder, about 100mL of the yogurt and five heaped tablespoons of your sweetener.
- Whisk your egg whites until they are stiff and form peaks that don’t droop. Another way to tell that they are firm enough is that the beaten egg doesn’t fall off the whisk.
- Whisk half your egg whites into your yoke mixture.
- Fold in the other half of your egg whites carefully.
- Spray two cake pans with one cal spray. To make a roulade simply pour the mixture into a baking tray sprayed with one cal.
- Pour equal amounts into each cake pan.
- Bake in the oven for 12 to 15 minutes. You can tell when it is ready when the cake is golden brown.
- Let the cakes cool on a cake rack.
For the filling and topping-
- Take about 150mL to 200mL of yogurt.
- Crush 4 or 5 strawberries and raspberries and mix in with the yogurt.
- Mix in 2 heaped tablespoons of sweetener.
- When your cakes have cooled spoon half the mixture onto one of the cakes and place the other cake on top.
- Spoon the other half of your mixture onto the top of the cake.
- Slice some strawberries and place on top for decoration (and extra super free of course!)
You can have any fruit you like with this cake but I would suggest fruits that you can crush -strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, banana, kiwi etc.
I haven’t made the cake recipe that a lot of people have shared on the Slimming World Facebook page so I’m not sure whether this is nice or not compared to it but myself and my boyfriend really enjoyed it. After a while the cake gets quite moist because of the yogurt filling but I actually find this really yummy too, I’m not sure whether the Quark would do this too.